What is Independent Living?
Realife | Heritage Heights
Independent Living is designed to enhance individual well-being and ensure a rich life experience by promoting a personalized lifestyle and social interaction with other seniors. It offers comfortable living with the companionship of friends and the freedom to spend your time doing the things that you enjoy most. Independent Living is apartment style living where individuals can live without health care providers on staff.
Realife Cooperative is a unique form of home ownership that consists of 27 spacious apartments. Members (tenants) of the Cooperative purchase a share in the cooperative, giving them the right to live in the development. In other words, those living in the apartments are members who ‘own’ the building. The corporation is governed by its members through their elected Board of Directors with input from resident committees and Eventide as a Management Agent. Share prices and monthly fees vary depending on individual apartment size. By combining economics, tenants have the security and maintenance free living at a reduced cost of living.
At Realife, you receive a fixed amount of appreciation for each year you live in the cooperative. This annual appreciation is added to the member’s original share price to determine the selling price of the unit. This keeps prices affordable for initial as well as future members.
Services & Amenities
- Community great room
- Landscaped outdoor areas
- Variety of well-designed floor plans
- Laundry on site
- Physical, occupational, speech therapy available
- Individual patios or balconies.
- Excellent soundproofing and fire protection.
- Spacious, well planned closets and ample storage.
- Individually controlled forced-air heating and central air.
- Basic cable TV and telephone jacks in living/dining room and bedroom(s).
- All appliances - self defrost refrigerator, disposal, electric range, range hood, and dishwasher.
- Barrier-free access throughout; doors 36" wide and lever handle knobs and faucets.
- Carpet throughout; no-wax vinyl in most kitchens and baths.
- Indoor parking available
- Easy and secure opening, closing, and locking designs.
- Emergency call system, individually monitored.
- Whirlpool spa
- Guest room available
For more infromation:
Realife Cooperative of Denison
214 South 20th Street
Denison, Iowa 51442
Heritage Heights consists of 35 affordable housing apartments that are subsidized by HUD. Our target population for the apartments includes those with low income. (A tenant is able to have assets.) No one pays the same amount of rent as it is based on 30% of your adjusted gross income.
To qualify a person must meet one of the following:
1) The head of the household/spouse must be 62 years of age or older.
2) Handicapped (must be 18 years of age or older & must meet the requirements for this special designation).
In addition, tenants must qualify for the housing assistance program. Each day, two meals are available and served in the dining room. Weekly transportation is available to the grocery store. Tenants can participate and lead activities in the building or join community events.
Located adjacent to Eventide Lutheran Home, the community features one-bedroom and studio apartments, as well as comfortable lounges, an exercise room, laundry facilities, and a full time manager. Within a quiet & safe environment, Heritage Heights also offers security, emergency call light system, 24-hour maintenance, and easy access to the remainder of the Eventide community.
Our apartments will allow you to maintain your independent lifestyle while enjoying the social aspect of community living.